- 1 gallon fresh apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 1 medium orange
- 1 (1 1/2-inch) piece fresh ginger
- 5 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- Orange slices, for serving (optional)
1. Fill the slow cooker. Pour the cider or juice into a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
2. Add the fresh ingredients. Cut the orange into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Cut the ginger into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add both to the slow cooker.
3. Add the spices. Add the cinnamon sticks. Add the cloves and optional spices. To make it easier to serve, place the cloves and spices in a tea ball first, or place in a double layer of cheesecloth or paper coffee filter, gather it up into a sachet, and tie closed with kitchen twine.
4. Slow cook the cider for 4 hours. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the flavors meld, 4 hours on LOW. (If there are clumps of spices floating at the top that you wish to remove, strain the cider through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a large pot.) Keep warm and serve in mugs garnished with additional orange slices if desired.